Car Rental Rates Spikes During Holiday Season

Date: 22 NOV 2016posted by Car Rentaledited by WinX

According to a new survey conducted by CheapCarRental.net - travelers during the Thanksgiving holiday period are going to be paying an extremely raised price for car rentals. Cities that are the most frequently traveled to such as Atlanta see over a 200 percent price increase during this period. The survey compared car rental rates for 30 destinations in the United States for the period spanning November 23 to 27, 2016. And they used the largest volume airport associated with each respective city as the pick-up and drop-off location. In Atlanta, the cheapest available car rental will cost at least $91 per rental day over the long weekend. The price is an increase of 212 percent compared to the regular rates during the month of November. New York City tops the charts of the most expensive car rental rate per day at $101, a 187 percent price increase from regular rates.

Pittsburgh ranks third on the chart right after Atlanta on total price at $79 per day with 121 percent increase. Las Vegas, the gambling capital of the United States, sits at the top of the list of price increase at 287 percent at $70 per rental day. AAA is projecting 48.7 million Americans will journey 50 miles or more from home for the upcoming holiday. That is an increase of 1 million holiday travelers, or 1.9 percent increase compared to the same period and the most Thanksgiving travelers since 2007. About 43.5 million people are expected to travel by car or roughly 89 percent. The remaining 11 percent or so are expected to travel by plane, train, bus or sea. More people are expected to be renting cars for travel during this period. US airport and neighborhood rental reservations are up more than 5 percent compared with last Thanksgiving for Enterprise Rent-A-Car, National Car Rental and Alamo said Laura Bryant, spokesperson for Enterprise Holdings.

The following table shows the top 10 destinations with the highest car rental rates per day for the Thanksgiving long weekend. They will be followed with a comparison to the regular rates during the month of November. The rates reflect the average daily rate for the cheapest available car for the period of November 23 to 27, 2016. Regular rates reflect the average car rental rates for November with each respective city's main airport was chosen as the pick-up and drop-off location.

  • 1. New York City $101 (+187%)
  • 2. Atlanta $91 (+212%)
  • 3. Pittsburgh $79 (+121%)
  • 4. Washington, D.C. $75 (+96%)
  • 5. Las Vegas $70 (+287%)
  • 6. Baltimore $68 (+149%)
  • 7. New Orleans $68 (+107%)
  • 8. Kansas City $65 (+103%)
  • 9. Detroit $59 (+112%)
  • 10.Chicago $51 (+63%)

Leave a comment

Please enter your full name

Please enter your question